Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Always and Forever

I can come up with a song that fits any theme and any occasion.  So this might become a regular occurrence in my posts that I reference lyrics, and tonight, I would just like to join in Kip's refrain of "I love technology, but not as much as you, you see.  Always and forever.  Always and forever" (from the funniest movie of all time - Napoleon Dynamite -for those of you who didn't stay after the credits rolled and watched the bonus/additional ending).  

The connection between the song and my life currently is that I feel like I am going to DIE without my technology as I head off to Europe!  I am scared, because I can already feel the withdrawals coming on.  I've been told that missionaries that have been out over a year still hallucinate that their cell phone is ringing sometimes.  They should do psychological studies on this, because obviously we have all been classically conditioned to need our technology.  The stimulus is the technology, giving us positive outcomes, in the form of contact with someone that we like,  whenever we pay attention to the inanimate objects.  I personally check my email at least seven times a day.  I am completely addicted!  And lets not even begin to discuss my attachment to my phone.  It is my clock for pity's sake, and I wake up to it and check the time approximately thirty times a day without including all the times I flip it open to text or talk to someone.

I need a 12 step recovery program, but as of tomorrow, this whole going out of the country thing is forcing me to go cold turkey.  And its going to be painful.  But on a happier note, I am pretty sure that the bliss of traveling will definitely soften the blow.  Now if you will excuse me, I need to go find an alarm clock that functions only as an alarm clock, and dig my watch out of moth balls :)  

6 comments:

Ashley and Devon said...

Chelle-

I know what you mean...my cell phone is my life! Without it, i feel disconnected-kinda sad, but true! you will have so much fun tho that you wont even think of it! :)

Lindsay said...

I think traveling will distract you from your need for technology. You will be too busy to notice. You might even find it refreshing to be without the "leash".

Glad to see you blogging!

Adam said...

Ha ha! I too, am that attached to technology. It's pretty sad and pathetic. I'm sure you'll find during your technology break that there is something very nice about being free from it. You can actually remember what life was like before it- simple.

Good luck on your adventures! I love you!

Meghan said...

i totally understand! I was dieing with out the internet and here in hawaii! good thing I at least have my phone! Right now I am in the library on the computer so I could get my fix of email and facebook for the week. Very sad I know. Have so much fun in Europe!!

THE ORVINS said...

RACHELLE yeah I am so excited I found your blog! hopefully you still update in europe or else my finding you would have been pointless :) anyways hope you have a blast in europe that sounds like so much fun, and dont forget to enjoy the chocolate while you can:) oh and by the way this is Jessica.

Paul Doxey said...

Welcome to living life in the moment without distractions. I think that you'll find deeper relationships with the people you're actually WITH. That technology is a huge distraction. Love the ones your with, but don't forget the ones that are thinking of you at home. -Mom