I have spent much of my life living in a constant state of clutter. Don't get me wrong, I knew where things were in which pile, on which flat surface, and I knew where the most likely places were that I had put that certain something. I just had to spend a certain amount of time looking. As a result, I am very used to losing/misplacing things and then finding them eventually because as everyone knows, clutter kind of rotates through in a kind of slow cyclical pattern.... Its great cause I never freak out when I can't find something. I either keep looking or wait for it to turn up. For example, I currently have no idea where my drivers license is. Am I worried? Not really.
As I have gotten older and have a lot less space to live in, it has become important to me to keep my living areas less cluttered because being clutter free makes a room feel more spacious. I now truly appreciate being able to see my floor, and the surfaces of my desk, dresser, and other flat surfaces normally covered in stacks of books and papers and piles of clothes. I have become more organized. I am a master at packing my room like a ship. For example, I have four large plastic tubs under my raised bed, and smaller plastic tubs stacked in the closet. And after losing important papers such as my passport and social security card several times, I am finally using a file folder for important documents. I have gotten to the point where I actually put things away.
But the kicker is that amazingly, I still manage to lose things on regular basis! For example, I "lost" a pair of pants I had recently purchased and spent twenty minutes looking everywhere in my apartment, never imagining that the pants would be hanging neatly in the closet exactly where they were supposed to be. Also, I had been missing my patriarchal blessing since I moved two months ago until this past weekend. Who would have thought that it would be where it was supposed to be, clearly visible in my file folder? I had looked everywhere!
It just amazes me that leading a more "organized" and less cluttered life has proved to be ironically inefficient. I still spend a lot of time looking for things. I guess I might adjust eventually to organized life, but in the meantime, I am officially surrendering to the fact that I am probably going to spend at least 1/30th of my life searching for things that may, or may not be actually missing.
4 comments:
Haha this is so true and funny
SO. TRUE. And seriously, I am very cluttery. Especially this year, for some reason. Sorry about that. (guilty smile on my face right now) And also, wasn't it weird when all three of us, you, me, AND Dani, all lost our patriarchal blessings at the same time?! Weird. I still think there was blessing thief that week. ESPECIALLY because I found my blessing EXACTLY where it was supposed to be too. I'm going to suspect Dani. Or Hannah. Yes, definitely Hannah.
I try so hard to be organized, yet I still misplace things. I just lost a new mascara and can't find it anywhere. I remember holding it in the bathroom and now it is gone. I hate losing things!
Chelle I'm the same way! Ron things its ridiculous cause he is so organized he can tell if something has been moved even an inch! I agree with you though a little bit of clutter is good!
Post a Comment