Sunday, March 8, 2009

The space between...

I would like to take a moment to describe one of the ways that I spend my time. My bed at college has this little headboard and a large desk connected to it. But there are spaces that cannot be closed between the wall and the bed on both the top and the side and the bed+desk is way too heavy for me to even budge... This little detail has proved unfortunate for me because, like many single people my age, I sleep with my cell phone. It is my alarm clock and my nightlight, and is almost attached to my body. But the key word is "almost", because the cracks between the wall and bed are are the perfect size for my cell phone to fall into, but are too small for my hand and arm to go down. Do you have any idea how many times my cell phone has fallen into these dark and skinny spaces? I have spent hours on my knees with my face mashed to the mattress, trying to cram my arm and other various objects skinnier than my arm into this dust bunny territory, while holding a flashlight in my mouth. I have spent enough hours trying to retrieve my phone that I have developed an ingenious system that involves masking tape and the sheath of a plastic sword I bought at the dollar store for Halloween :) Of late, to outsmart the problem, I have taken to shoving the edges of my comforter and garbage sacks down there to plug up the space. But today my phone found a new crack that I didn't know it was small enough to fit through! What is all my education worth if I cannot out smart my own bed?? I have now applied copious amounts of tape over the crack in an intricate weaving pattern in another attempt.
So I apologize to the girl who lives below me for the scrapings of a hanger along the wall from one to two thirty in the morning that one night last semester, and to all of you whose calls I have missed while my phone was at the bottom of these horrid crevices. And wish me luck with my tape, garbage sacks, and sword sheath. I will probably need it in the near future.

3 comments:

Ron and Maggie said...

You should try shoving like hand clothes or wash clothes or something down there. p.s. I didn't mean to laugh at your misfortune, but I've been there. GOOD LUCK!

Jack said...

hahaha..what we do for phones..

Audrey said...

Oh my. I remember that one night at 2:30. You called me in there to help, and you were absolutely frantic. I think the tape weaving patter might actually do the trick. On the off chance that it doesn't, we might have to call the ghost busters or something.